It is not very serious and only occurs when there is a severe rainstorm. Is it really necessary for you to find the cause of your leaking roof and fix it immediately?
It is a clear “yes!”. If you find evidence of a leaky roof in your home, it’s likely that it has been there for some time. The most dangerous damage is the invisible. The list of potential effects of a leaky roof does not mean to scare you. It is meant to encourage you to contact a skilled roofing professional as soon as you notice a problem.
Potential Damage To A Leaking Roof
Let’s begin at the top, and work our way downwards:
- Additional Roof Damage: The path of least resistance is where water finds its way. Water will continue to flow through damaged areas once your roof is damaged by a storm or simply aging. The water will continue to damage the roofing material. This will make your leak bigger, which in turn allows more water to enter the home, eventually leading to more damage.
- Damage to the Soffits or Gutters: Water can seep through the soffits causing wood to rot. This could cause soffits to cave and attach gutters to sag . Your gutters may not be performing as they should. This can lead to water being misdirected and secondary issues such as intrusion into the foundations.
- Framing and Eaves Damage: Try to climb into your attic every now and then to inspect the framing. Leakage from your roof can lead to internal damage such as damp wood, stained or damaged wood, and growing mold. These items are integral parts of the home’s structure, so they can be extremely costly to fix.
- Mold Damage to Ceilings and Drywall. When water seeps into ceilings or walls, it can cause major problems. Mold and stains on your walls can be a sign of a problem that must be addressed immediately.
- Electrical Systems Damage: Because electrical wiring runs through walls, water can cause short circuits or damaged circuits. An electrician should be called if you see your lights flickering or if the breaker keeps tripping. Faulty wiring or circuits can lead to a fire, so it is important that you have your problem fixed as soon as possible.
- Damage to Property: While a leaky roof is often not noticed for long enough to cause significant damage to furniture, carpets, and other possessions, there are some people you should be particularly cautious about. Part-time residents are a significant part of Sarasota’s population. A leaking roof that has been left unattended for six months can cause serious damage to the home and lead to mold infestation.
A leaking roof can cause a lot of damage to your home. It is a good idea to inspect your roof after each major storm and to have your roof checked annually. Also, to regularly check the interior of your home for signs of roof damage. While an older roof will be more susceptible to roof leaks it’s still possible for a newer roof to become damaged by severe weather.
Call a professional roofing company if you have any concerns about your roof’s leakage. All Star Roof Repair is committed to ensuring that your roof is secure and safe.
This post was written by a roofing specialist At All-Star Roofing. We offer the best roof repair in Florida. We are a family-owned Pinellas county roofing business, and we strive to be the best in our industry. Our family has been in the Tampa Bay area for over 60 years, and our objective has always been to provide roofing services at a fast, reliable, and competitive rate. All-Star has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties.